It’s now May so time to put together a list of some gigs on around dublin – as usual there loads on, but below is just a list of bands I rate / gigs that I think would be worth parting with some money to go to!
- Lovefoxx (from CSS) is doing a DJ set in The Button Factory on 9th May – tickets here.
- Delorentos play Whelans, on Fri 22nd and Sat 23rd May (although looks like the Saturday date is sold out) – get Friday tickets here.
- Director play The Button Factory on the same night (22nd May) – tickets here.
- Jape is going to be live in The Button Factory on 23rd May – tickets here.
- Casio Kids are @ the Academy 2 on 26th May – tickets here.
- The Maccabees play the Academy on 27th May – tickets here.
All of the above are well worth seeing, I’ve only recently gotten into The Macabees – and liking what i’ve heard so far. Their most recent single ‘Love you Better’ has been stuck in my head for the last week straight! Same with Casio Kids – they’ve only come on to my radar since reading about their performance at SXSW. For a band that sings in Norwegian, they’re still easy to listen to despite the language difference – and if you dont feel like dancing around when listening to most of their tunes there’s something wrong with you!
For anyone that hasn’t heard of Delorentos, they’re well worth checking out. They released their debut LP ‘In Love with Detail’ in 2007, I saw them play oxegen the same year. At the time i hadn’t heard of them, but after seeing them live I went off and bought their album, and safe to say I wasnt disappointed!
Back at the start of the year the band posted a blog on their myspace state that they were splitting up – which was fairly sad to hear for such a promising band, but good news! They split has been called off and their current tour will not be their last. I’m really looking forward to seeing them live, and hopefully get to hear some new material when they take to the stage at Whelan’s.
Jape was this years rightful winner of the Choice Music Prize. I’ve yet to see him play live, but his album Ritual is great. On that note i’ll leave you with the video for his song ‘Floating’ (famously covered by The Raconteurs – see here).
Happy Bank Holiday Friday!